Re: "R" or "X" rated?

Dr Arun Kumar Bag (akb@ppwa.pc.my)
Sun, 09 Apr 1995 13:56:02

Hi

I have just recently joined this thread and feel that I would like
to put my thoughts to this.

Although I have no objection to what 2 consenting adults can do in
private, I do feel that the net is not the place for this. I have 2
young children who are growing up gently and will learn adult life
in due course. I would not like them to be catapulted into adult
behaviour in too much of a hurry,
I would however, like them to be computer literate, which I did not
have in my younger age, and be able to enjoy and participate in this
wonderful explosion of cyberspace.
After all, this is the "in" thing in their generation, much like ham
radio and television was in ours.

I concur with you wholeheartedly, Pat

Regds

>Stephanie,
>
>While I make no judgement on the "rightness" of the request you have made,
>one of the things that concerns many people (myself included) about using
>the Internet for such activity is the free access that children have to
>the technology (especially since CU-SeeMe is free software). I have no
>children, but many parents I know would prefer their children to be a
>little older before being exposed to "life" and I, personally, would hate
>to see people hesitating to purchase their children computers and exposing
>them to the great benefits of computing just because they (the parents)
>could not regulate what the children viewed. More and more people every
>day are gaining Internet access for their whole families from home, so
>this really is an issue. I realize there are many explicit sex-oriented
>"discussions", etc, but very young children do not understand words as
>well as pictures. All it takes is one enterprising young soul (probably
>picking up the information from someone older) and the word would get out.
>You would probably not block off "lurkers" from the reflector and all it
>would take is one "watchdog" group to find out about children gaining
>access to bring down all manner of wrath on the Internet.
>
>I would hate to start seeing more and more regulations being imposed on
>what has been, up to this point a fairly free venue for information exchange.
>
>My $ .02.
>
>Pat
>
>On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, M.L. Carson wrote:
>
>> Ok all.... I have a feeling I might get some flames from this but.......
>> Surely I'm not the first lady to think of any "dirty" possibilities with
>> this software. Are there any reflector sights out there for "Adults Only" ?
>>
>> Just wondering,
>>
>> Stephanie....
>>
>> who thinks she might regret this letter later.... :-) (who knows!!)
>>

> Tagline >> "Luke... Luke... Use the MOUSE, Luke" - Obi Wan Gates

*  DR ARUN KUMAR BAG,MBBS,MRCOG,	*    TELEPHONE: 6-03-4528822 (OFF) *
*  PUSAT PAKAR WANITA ARUN, 	     	*    TELEFAX  : 6-03-4528823 (0FF) *
*  C18-1 ONE AMPANG AVENUE,           	&                                  *
*  JALAN AMPANG UTAMA 1/1,            	*    TELEPHONE: 6-03-4217929 (RES) *
*  68000 AMPANG, SEL.DE,MALAYSIA  	*    E-MAIL   : akb@ppwa.pc.my	   *
echo