Attention: Jeff Re: RE>CU-SeeMe/QuickCam/PowerM

Joseph M. Izen (joe@utdallas.edu)
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 18:56:07 -0500

Attention: Jeff

Dear Jeff,
Thanks for writing back. Yes the problems appear to be specific to PowerMac/QuickCam/CU-SeeMe users, and I concede that this is a VERY extraordinary combination. Never-the-less, I have documented several extraordinary users, and *noone else* who is experiencing this PRAM-zap problem. I can confirm that QuickCam/CU-SeeMe works fine on non-power macs, and that the PowerMac/CU-SeeMe combination works fine with Camcorders on my 7100AV. One user suggested, but did not prove (nor have I) that the problem occurs when other Apple event-aware applications like Eudora are running. I do run the ppc version 1.5.1 of Eudora.

I *did* use Apple's Network Software Installer 1.5 right after upgrading to System 7.5.1, but this did not solve the PRAM-zap problem, and I have excluded extension conflicts by running with Vanilla 7.5.1 plus the QuickCam extensions. (It also occured with System 7.5 and Apple's Network Software Installer 1.4.5 )So is the problem with QuickCam? or CU-SeeMe? or Apple hardware or system software? You got me, but I would appreciate it if your tech/development team could reproduce the problem and then exhonerate/convict QuickCam and its software.

Thanks! -Joe Izen