Re: Reflector process AV?

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 09:21:25 -0400

At 11:35 AM 4/24/95, Darren Suprina (Sun NJ SE wrote:
>Finally, perhaps someone can clarify a technical point for me. Does a
>Reflector do any AV stream processing such as audio format conversion?

At present, the reflector mostly just reflects. It does do stream
"pruning" in the sense of cutting the video stream to a recipient if they
close a window. Similarly, AuxData streams are "not unpruned" unless you
have the appropriate application up and running (e.g. SlideWindow open).

A near-future version will customize the bandwidth to each recipient,
basically dropping packets which loss reports suggest the network will have
to drop anyway. Also, audio packets will be given priority.

A further future version will utilize a layered video encoding to do a
better job of customising bandwidth and, perhaps, do audio mixing.

Cheers, -Dick