MPEG encoding

Michael C. Lee (squids@med.umich.edu)
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:44:38 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 01:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Netman <eabu927@rigel.oac.uci.edu>
To: Roger Lee Boston <rboston@tenet.edu>
Subject: Re: A REVOLUTION!!!! REAL TIME CODEC MPEG-2!!!!!

I have heard that MPEG was not really preferred for realtime
videoconferencing because of the end to end latency in the encoding
scheme. It uses bidirectional predicted frames, which, as I understand
it means that the compression scheme itself must look at "future frames
as well as "past" frames to do compression on the present frame.
While this is great for applications such as video-on-demand, it adds
more time (than MJPEG or H.320, which do not look at future frames) to the
processing of each video frame, which is not so good for realtime
videoconferencing.

Anyone like/care to comment?

Mike
Mike Lee------->Special Projects----------------------->Multimedia Person
Medical Center Information Technology (MCIT)
University of Michigan Medical Center
squids@med.umich.edu (313)763-0094
http://spwww.mcit.med.umich.edu/people/squids