Re: 28.8?

Joseph Kahan (jkahan@phoenix.phoenix.net)
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 06:59:22 -0500 (CDT)

Alex,

I think you will find that using a 28.8 connection is a nice improvement,
but your true connection rate will depend on your local phone lines. In
most cases, 21 - 24 K is considered to be standard.

At this rate (21-24K), you can pass two-way video without to much
problem. Just don't get out of control with your video window selection
when you connect to a reflector site with several participants.

The problem you will have with the audio is getting everyone you connect
with to reduce their audio compression to 16K @ 100ms or 50ms. Because
if they don't, your Mac will try to decode whatever Audio packet (32K or
64K) they are sending and the results will be very poor. You might hope
to take advantage of the modem compression, but in the real world this
compression does little to compress the audio signal. Mater of fact, the
modem compression adds latency and will delay your signal. I've seen
delays as bad as 10 seconds.

I hope this will help.

Joe