Re: Orchid Vidiola Pro/D - Premium Problems

Dennis Coffey (dcoffey@mindspring.com)
Thu, 04 Apr 1996 22:12:49 -0500

At 11:11 PM 4/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone any experience with the Orchid Vidiola Premium video capture card?
>(It's the Vidiola Pro/D with the M-JPEG daughtercard). I'm running it under
>Win95 on a Pentium-75 with 16 mb memory and a Diamond Stealth 64 PCI video card
>with 2mb of DRAM, using the Diamond Win95 controls. Version of cu-seeme is
>W0.084B7.
>
>I can't seem to get things set up in cu-seeme for this card correctly...I
>get a posterized display of about the upper 1/4 corner of the camera display
>in the local window. The card and camera work fine in Adobe Premiere
capture...

I don't know anything about the Vidiola card, but I'll tell you what I found
about my capture card. I'm using a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM with Diamond's
Motion Video Player 2000 capture card. This card captures in .avi format,
so one would expect it to work with Cu-seeme. I have no problem at all
capturing high quality video to several applications other than Cu-seeme.
After numerous methods and attempts to make things work, I called the tech
people at Diamond. They wouldn't really get into technical details with me,
but basically I was told that this and many other capture cards will only
capture video to a file or to the monitor. They said any application that
further processes or 'sends' the captured video is beyond the intended
purpose of many capture cards (including all made by Diamond).

Several people here suggested I use a program called cudoodle to trick the
capture card into working. You actually need 2 programs...cudoodle and
captest. cudoodle will allow you to place a live video window on the
monitor while running cu-seeme. Captest will allow you to capture the
projected video and route it to cu-seeme. It works, but I had a few
problems. The video projected to the monitor with cudoodle was nice and
clean. By the time it made it to cu-seeme for transmission, it was severely
degraded. The other major problem......I'm running a 100mhz pentium with
16M RAM and Windows 3.11, even so, by the time I got all this software
going, the machine slowed considerably. And after receiving for 10 minutes
or so, it would nearly slow to a crawl. I suppose I could further limit my
receive rate, but by then I had decided it would be easier to buy a quickcam.

I hope some of this helps.