RE: Full-duplex sound blaster card (Dennis J. Streveler)

atnos@ibm.net
Fri, 12 Apr 96 08:42:46 PDT

Dear Dennis,

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:15:48 -0700 Dennis J. Streveler wrote:
>>As far as I know, to get a full-duplex voice, you need 2(two) sound >>blaster cards. Each card is for each way.
>
>No, I don't believe this is the case. As far as I know you only need ONE
>sound blaster. Anyway, I have justisntalled the new (beta-release) >drivers today and I will try them out on some unsuspecting CUSeeMe'er >rather soon.

I have a Toshiba T2155CDS notebook with only 1 sound blaster card for multimedia purposes. From the FAQ about Iphone I read that you need 2 sound cards to enable full-duplex (each for 1 direction). Also the Iphone software automatically detected that my notebook has only 1 sound card during install/configuration and so is only for half-duplex voice. If I press the full-duplex icon on the menu bar of Iphone it would return something like "only for half-duplex operation".

I am not sure whether using a unique full-duplex software you could make it a full-duplex operation although my notebook has only 1 sound card.

Please advise again where I could download the full duplex software you mentioned earlier (I deleted the digest mail). I would try whether this software could work with the Iphone software without conflict.

>>Since cuseeme's voice is not good, I use cuseeme only for the video and
>chat typing but for the voice I use Iphone together with cuseeme.
>
>What is your opinion of Iphone's audio compared to CUSeeMe's? Is it
>noticably better? (How could it be much worse! :)

Very much better Dennis. On Iphone the voice quality is almost like on a standard phone. On cuseeme it is usually disconnected/not continuous and the quality is bad/scratchy with heavy noise background and only good for very short messages/sentences. With Iphone you could adjust many settings e.g. Vox level, TX/RX level, quality/speed, various PCM/ADPCM bits, mono/stereo, etc.
A pity my notebook has only half-duplex capability with Iphone.

I would recommend using cuseeme together with Iphone for the voice communication if your opponent has the Iphone too.

Best regards, Frans Djiwatampu
Jakarta, Indonesia.
E-mail: atnos@ibm.net
Date: 04/12/96 ; Time: 08:42:46