Re: 288 to 336

Leslie McCLure (leslie@mail.unicom.net)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:00:11 +0000

> David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
> > I upgraded ny Sportster from 288 to 336 and now consistently log-on at 24000.
> > It seems to me that the limiting factor is how the ISP is set up rather than anyt
> >
> > David Sommers
>
> Greetings:
> This is unfortunate as I cannot see how ANY ISP would want to limit the B/W of
> their customers?!? Maybe, if you can try out other ISP locations with 28.8 baud
> support, you will see the difference.

An ISP pays for T1 connections a a very high rate. You can only get
so much bandwidth from a T1 which means you can only get so many
people on at a given time. The more people the more money, a cold
hard fact of life.

Also when you are spending $150 to $200 for A single modem it is
quite easy to afford to be on the highest cutting edge of technology.
When you spend nearly that much money but are buying 100 to 200 or
more modems to meet your customers demands, then the cutting edge
gets dulled by business common sense.

Also, Ascend, on of the major players in the ISP router game, has
problems connecting with and sustaining connections to, 28,800 bps
modems using a Rockwell chip. Most providers that are using this
have found that they can support connections to these modems at
26,400 and have adjusted their systems to do so.

Also, the local telephone system where you are located only has so
much bandwidth in their local loop. With the growth of Internet
usage and the number of people that simply use the telephone, the
telcos have not been able to increase their physical plant rapidly
enough the handle the volume. And with the new deregulations that
allow anyone to provide local call service, don't expect a rush to go
out and do it till the dust settles.
Within a year to eighteen months you will be connecting to the
Internet through you present TV cable or a celluar phone type
connection. When these come about you will be reaching speeds that
will rival the LAN speed in any office in town. Believe it or not,
even the vaunted 33,600 modems are outdated and obsolete. Even if
the technology wasn't changing so fast, ISPs are not going to throw
serious money into modems when the future is so shakey.

And no modem connects faster than the modem on the answering end.