Re: 288 to 336

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:15:50 -0500

Jay Shoup wrote:
> I would be sure to check and see if you are able to connect to
> another 28.8 modem other than a sportster on any line.
>
> There are two factors that you need to consider when defining a
> modems ability to connect at 28.8. 1st is line quality. 28.8 requires
> very good line quality, low noise, low phase distortion, and low
> harmonic distortion. If the phone line is not just about perfect the
> modem will not connect at 28.8 but rather will 'fall-back' to a lower

> manufactures modems. I understand the same may be true with their V34
> implementation. The did I believe offer an upgrade to correct the
> problem for the sportster modem not to long ago.
>
> USR's history of compatibility has not impressed me, I doubt very
> seriously that they ever will.
>
> Legal disclaimer:
> The above statements are the opinion of the author and should not be
> construed as statements of fact.
>
> > David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
> > > I upgraded ny Sportster from 288 to 336 and now consistently log-on at 24000.
> > > It seems to me that the limiting factor is how the ISP is set up rather than anyt
> > >
> > > David Sommers
> >
> > Greetings:
> > This is unfortunate as I cannot see how ANY ISP would want to limit the B/W of
> > their customers?!? Maybe, if you can try out other ISP locations with 28.8 baud
> > support, you will see the difference.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Daniel W. Erskine "mailto:derskine@apci.net"
>
> Jashoup@indiana.edu
> http://149.159.15.26/index.html
> Jay Shoup

Greetings:
I couldn't agree with you more!!! All the information you mentioned is valid.
Especially the part about USR's reputation for "jumping the gun" to market their
new and improved modems! But I'll give USR this: they ARE a well respected modem
manufacturer, and I've NEVER had any problems connecting to other 28.8 modems;
phone line quality aside! I know that there's better modems, but I haven't seen
very many nearer to my price range.
Anyways, I think we've taken enough B/W... anyone for CU-SeeMe???

CU later...

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"