Re: CU-newbie question...

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:24:25 -0500

Starving Artist wrote:
> Hi everyone. I've been playing around with CU for a few weeks now, and was
> having nominal success with xmit/rec at 14.4 (Mac 660AV w/Geoport) and
> QuickCam. In an effor to increase the quality (quantity?) of xmit/rec, I
> just got a 2.8 Global Village Teleport Platinum modem. Reception has
> improved, but now, no one is rec my vid very well. It seems to barely
> trickle in, if at all, whether on a ref or direct connection. Interesting
> to note that when i pause, the image eventually makes it intact. Using the
> 14.4 Geoport, I was at least able to xmit fairly well, altho my recep was
> poor. I'm connecting to my ISP via a SLIP connection, and all my other TCP
> apps are working fine, and reflect the increase in throughput. Any clues??
>
> Here's what I've got:
>
> Mac Centris 660AV/230/24
> System 7.5.3
> Open Transport 1.1
> CUSeeMe v0.83b3
> Connectix QuickCam
> QuickTime 2.1
>
> These seem to be the pertinent details...if there's anything else that I
> should mention, please let me know. I've pared down my system requirements
> via the Extensions Manager (thinking that it was an overhead problem), but
> that hasn't seemed to help any.
>
> I'd really like to get this working ASAP, and not have to go back to the 14.4.
> Post here, or to me directly at kima@netcom.com
>
> Thanks a ton!
> Kim_A_

Greetings:
I hope you reconfigured your new modem's initialization string into your ISP
network software!?! If you didn't, the old modem's init string *could* tell your
new modem to do something different. The best way to check is to compare the
"Hayes" commands of the two, using their individual user's manuals. Find what
their doing and change any inconsistancies.

Hope this "theory" works,

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"