Re: 288 to 336

Bill Mikulic (bilmik@crl.com)
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:52:30 -0700

Hello,
For what it's worth.

I use a brand new USR Sportster 33.6 at work. As you can see I use CRL as my
ISP; their service is extremely reliable. The Sportster NEVER connects at
28.8 let alone 33.6! I usually get 24kbs or 26.4 connect speeds.

At home I use an AT&T Dataport Express 28.8 modem (which was cheaper than
the USR) and I ALWAYS get a 28.8 connection. The AT&T product is also
extremely reliable! Ironically, my office is located closer than home to the
dial-up! Last I heard AT&T sold the Paradyne division (telecom product
div.), so the production of Dataport Express 28.8 was halted. I don't know
if it will resume.

I was a satisfied user of the Sportster 14.4, (prior to 28.8 becoming
common) it was very good. In recent times (internet related IPO frenzy) USR
must be more concerned with profits and the stockholders than the
development of a solid product. My experience w\ their customer support and
products has been dismal-- to say the best. We all remember the spiraling
death syndrome?? USR is the only major modem maker that designs and builds
their own chipsets-- some of us have experienced the culmination of those
efforts.

Alternative, buy a Courier, it seems to be less buggy, probably not any faster.

Bill

At 01:04 PM 4/15/96 -0500, Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
>David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
>> I upgraded ny Sportster from 288 to 336 and now consistently log-on at 24000.
>> It seems to me that the limiting factor is how the ISP is set up rather
than anyt

>> David Sommers
>
>Greetings:
> This is unfortunate as I cannot see how ANY ISP would want to limit the
B/W of