Re: 288 to 336

Bill Mikulic (bilmik@crl.com)
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 19:14:30 -0700

Hello,

I agree with nearly everything.

One point, many ISPs are regional providers. These types are usually on the
edge of profitability, consequently their equipment is sometimes not top
quality to begin. And with AT&T and MCI offering internet access these
regional providers are on the endangered species list; proceed with caution,
if a small provider goes under it will do so w\o warning & may take your
data with them!

The POTS has a theoretical limit of 35kbs.

On the west coast, using CRL (who is on the Internet backbone, using several
T-3 lines) I ALWAYS connect at 28.8, using an AT&T Dataport Express modem;
both cheaper and more reliable than the junk from USR. Of course one could
opt for a Courier at twice the price!

As for responsiveness and data rates, two things have impact. Your baby bell
and the former mentioned ISPs. For instance, Pacific Bell recently installed
an ATM switch that is an order of magnitude faster. Email that once took a
day now many times is delivered in minutes. If an ISP is overloaded, their
servers will be unresponsive. It doesn't matter how fast your connection is.
A responsible ISP should probably use Sun servers, typically one server
dedicated to one task, i.e. mail, news, web...

Beware of ISDN, many of the routers now being used only support 56kbs per
channel, not the full (American standard) 64kbs, consequently you will only
get 112kbs. BYW, it Europe its 144kbs.

Thanks,
Bill

At 04:00 PM 4/15/96 +0000, Leslie McCLure wrote:

>> David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
>> > I upgraded ny Sportster from 288 to 336 and now consistently log-on at
24000.
>> > It seems to me that the limiting factor is how the ISP is set up rather
than anyt

>> > David Sommers
>>
>> Greetings:
>> This is unfortunate as I cannot see how ANY ISP would want to limit the
B/W of