Re: The deluge - a TERRIBLE solution and a REAL solution

David Schlussel (dschluss@umich.edu)
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 23:32:35 -0400 (EDT)

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DO THIS. there is a REAL solution at
the end if you want to skip my explanation of why the original is a bad
one.

put yourselves in the position of the poor underappreciated sysadmins of
the world. why should he or she get a DELUGE of messages just because
some random MORON they probably never met cannot reverse the mechanisms
they used to get on the list to get themselves back off.

instead of sending it to root, send it to the user who sent the message.
they'll get the hint just as fast. and don't even give them instructions.
make 'em wait a week for the unsubscribe messages. tell them to find them
on the web from the home page.

for a while, i was responding to each unsubscribe message with the
question "why don't you know how to get off this list? didn't you get
the instructions? didn't you subscribe to the list?" i didn't get many
unsubscribe messages and just altered them and sent them in, thinking the
other person knew what they were doing.

here's a REAL solution: check the list instructions (as an excercise) for
how to get your cu-seeme mail in digest form. you just get one message a
day beginning with a list of message subjects and their authors, then all
the messages concatenated together. its much easier to browse through
that way. the unsubscribe messages just look funny (ha ha) when you see a
whole bunch of them in a row in the subject section.

have a nice day

-David

+ David Schlussel dschluss@umich.edu +
+ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dschluss/ +
+ Medical Center Information Tech - Special Projects +