Re:gethostbyname problem

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:50:18 -0500

>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 14:19:53 -0500 (CDT)
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: otterholt gale <otterhgr@cvtc-cis.chippewa.tec.wi.us>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: gethostbyname problem
>
>I have been able to access CuSeeMe from home, but when trying to access
>it from the LAN at school I get gethostbyname error. I have read and
>followed all of the FAQ.txt, Changes.txt, etc files and have put all my
>*.DLL files in the correct directories, made a hosts file etc. The only
>thing that is drastically different between the two access sites is that
>at school my office computer is on a LAN. Is this the problem? Any help
>would be appreciated. I was hoping to demonstrate CuSeeMe to my Internet
>students.
>
>G. R. Otterholt

I run a Novell LAN at my office, and had the same problem. The solution for
me was simple, being the one that assigns the IP addresses from my class C
license. We use Trumpet Winsock and WINPKT for our TCP/IP stack for
Windows. We use a packet driver for our DOS TCP applications (UGH!).

Being on a LAN, you have an IP address, and no name. MOST ISPs assign a
name to each of the IP addresses that they assign to their dialup users.

I'll assume a FEW things, and tell you how to fix it:

Assumptions:
You log into the network before running windows
You go to your local C: drive and run windows from the c:\windows directory
You use Trumpet Winsock for your TCP/IP stack

Solution:
Create c:\windows\hosts that says:
204.64.168.215 mypc

of course, change the IP to your own. This should do it.

Now if my assumptions were wrong, send me more specific info and I'll do
what I can to help. The setup for an ODI driver is a little more
complicated to explain.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe