Re: Setting up a reflector

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:23:40 -0500

>Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 07:43:46 -0400
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Robert Keane <rkeane3@erols.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Setting up a reflector
>
>Help!
>
>I have been given the assignment of researching the feasability of setting
up a reflector for our
>company. We are being shipped a Pentium 70, we didn't order it corporate
just sent us one because they
>had one and didn't know what to do with it.
>
>Soooo...what software do I need? What operating system do I need to run?
What special hardware do I need?
>Is a TCP/IP connection all that's necessary? What is the maximum number of
users per reflector? I know these
>are probably not real quick one line answers, but I would be extremely
grateful for any help you could
>provide.
>

>Thank you
>
>Robert Keane
>
>rkeane3@erols.com

1. A reflector program:
The latest Windows reflector program from the UCSC people can be found at
this URL:

ftp://ugate.ucsc.com/pub/

There is a 16 bit AND a 32 bit version in the file wreflect.zip. Do NOT get
the one named wreflect.zip.old as it is only the 16 bit version. The web
page shows the date on it to be Feb 22 of 1996, but it's actually 1995 (the
guy that set it up told me his web server puts the current year on
everything). Unfortunately, this version doesn't support some items like
max-clients and conference number.

There is another reflector program for Windows NT at this URL:

http://tis_www.thepoint.net/staff/Arlie/Reflect-NT/

The release notes say:"It also runs on Win95, for now, but probably will not
always."

For LINUX or BSD Unix check this URL for the reflector program:

ftp://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/pub/video/Reflector/4.00b3.dist/

2. Windows 3.1, windows 95 or Windows NT, Linux or BSD Unix also.

3. Nothing special besides the internet connection. A pentium should do
just fine.

4. Yes. The fastest internet connection you can find. ISDN really isn't
fast enough. A T1 or T3 line would be best.

5. Mostly depends on the speed of your computer and the speed of the
internet connection.

FYI: White Pine will have a Windows 95 reflector version out soon, so you
might want to check with them about being a beta tester for it. Email to
ajuerges@wpine.com to apply for this.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe