Re: Why am I not able to connect to any reflector

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:24:59 -0500

>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Robert Hessler <hessler@nic.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: Why am I not able to connect to any reflector
>
>At 01:17 PM 4/21/96 -0500, Ram S. Ravindran wrote:
>>I am just going crazy because I am not able to connect to any reflector it
>says
>>waiting to connect then I get the response such and such ip address is not
>responding
>
>Many of the reflectors on the lists are either down, or temporarily down, or
>just don't respond with a message when they are "full".
>
>Try connecting to 127.0.0.1 and see if that works. That is a test reflector
>site that simply "reflects" your own video back to you as an active user.
>You can then see if your video is really working, and what your image looks
>like to others.
>
>At least then you will know that your setup is correct and that the problem
>is with the other reflectors.

To be a little more accurate, 127.0.0.1 is a "loopback" IP address. This
REALLY IS a good way to test your own video, as your local window is not
QUITE what people see on the other end. It also doesn't actually send any
data through the modem, so you can adjust the transmit and receive speed as
high as you want for this testing. Be sure to set them back down when through!

Let me add, however, that the White Pine version does not work when
connecting to this IP address. Instead, use the "Connect to Self" option,
which does the same thing, but internally.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
PC only, no MAC questions, please.