Re: voice modems

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 19:17:40 -0500

vangal venkatesh wrote:
> I was just wondering if it would be possible to shift the voice
> processing to the new voice modems. Don't they have some voice
> compression chips? Then the CPU would just have to do the images.

Greetings:
Well, here's my 2 cents. I know what you're talking about, but I would think
that White Pine and Cornell would have to come up with a method of accessing the
DSVD chip on these newer modems.
Actually, a better (more expensive) way to do what you're saying would be to
get an ISDN line. Then you could utilize both 64Kb "B" channels. One for the
audio data, the other for internet connection with CU-SeeMe.
The DSVD modems (IMHO) were designed primarily for people to play games with
their modems AND carry on limited conversation, at the same time. The amount of
B/W required for carrying VTC data is MUCH higher than that of say, Doom, Hexen,
or Heretic. Leaving more B/W for the audio portion to be carried.
Yours is a great idea. I hope it's implemented sometime, but I don't think it
will be too soon, though!

Hope this helps,

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"