Re: find u find me

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 11:52:07 -0700

At 01:03 AM 4/27/96 -0500, elliot smith wrote:
>The problem: imho, it's really difficult to find people to chat with on
>cu-see-me. randomly connecting to reflectors just doesn't cut it for me.
>The chances of one of your net pals happening to also have cu-see-me
>capability is minimal. IRC doesn't work well either. learning how to use
>IRC just for the purpose of finding people to chat with on cu-see-me is a
>little to much to ask, and imho most people probably don't use irc. I've
>tried it and it didn't work well.
>
>The solution: Well there are various things I've thought of but here's
>what I think is the best idea: maintain a list of who all is currently
>using cu-see-me. Currently as in this very minute currently. The way that
>would work is to set up a customized web chat cgi script. You fill out a
>form listing your contact information and you interests, and how long
>you're going to be on. Your entry is added to the master list which can be
>downloaded by vsiting it's url. I guess that different find-u-find-me
>sites might be devoted to people with different interests, so as to cut
>down on the size of the list of people who are on-line, unless there really
>only is like 150 people max using cu-see-me at any given time, in which
>case this type of find-u-find-me site is all the more necessary.
>
>As far as contact goes, I think that could best be accomplished through
>talkd, a little program that runs on unix, Mac, and IBM PC and is
>identical to cu-see-me :-) except it doesn't require a reflector. It's
>text only communication.
>
>So could someone please build this find-u-find-me site? :-)
>
>-Elliot

Elliott,

You've proposed some pretty good ideas. I think also that once you've just
connected to a public reflector and see folks from all over the world, the
excitement about CU starts to wane.

I don't know how practical your up-to-the-second "directory" would be,
because, although it is certainly technically feasible, it is rather a
hassle especially for folks who are going to be on for only brief periods. I
usually come and go,not staying more than 10-20 minutes typically.

But I think your notion about "special interest" reflectors is a very good
idea. I am in the midst right now of setting one up myself. I plan to have
it specialize in discussions relating to "telemedicine" a field which is
just beginning to take off. That's an example of what can be done. While
that topic is rather arcane, more general topics, such as those found on the
topics lists of Internet Phone are possibilities.

I do agree that the happenstance finding of someone of your own interests on
the cornell or white pine reflectors (for example) are long shots indeed.

Regards,
Dennis

------------------------------------
Dennis J. Streveler, Ph.D.