Re: Two IP Address HELP!

Yazz D. Atlas (devnull@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 00:32:54 -0500

At 06:09 AM 4/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Yazz D. Atlas wrote:

[ --- Cut --- ]

> You make it sound like you have both addresses active at the same time
> on your system, but you don't mention your hardware type. I have yet
> to see a PC or Mac implementation that permits a system to hold two
> addresses at the same time ... so I'm guessing you have a config prob
> and need to switch IP addresses to make this work.
>
> andrew. (brennan@allegheny.edu)

System: (forgot to add this to the last post sorry)
Win 95
166 Pentium MMX
48 RAM
4 gig
36.6 Voice/Fax
3Com EtherLink XL combo card
Cornell Cu-SeeMe 0.90b1
and
White Pines Enhanced Cu-SeeMe 2.1.1x Demo
(both version have problems connecting to Cornell Reflectors but the
White Pines seems to connect to other White Pine Reflectors sometimes)

Ok here is the deal with the two IP address, I'm running Win95 on a local
TCP/IP network using an ethernet card and the IP 192.168.0.10. This is so
I can mount files off my Linux machine running Samba (software to make a
Unix machine appear as a Win NT file server). This IP is just for getting
around my local network that I created. Telneting to the Linux server and
such.

When I want to get to the Internet I use Win95 dial-up networking. My ISP
then provides me with a Dynamic IP something in the range of
207.159.81.xxx. I can see my local network and the Internet at the
sametime when everything is connected. If I run winipcfg.exe it shows me
info for both my dial-up and my ethernet card. Each under there own heading
(dial-up or Ethernet Card).

It like having two ethernet cards in one machine each with different IP's.
It almost acts as a poor mans firewall. Using other software I can connect
to the Internet from the Linux box through the ethernet card then out the
modem. Using Proxy address and connecting to special port numbers.

Cu-SeeMe wants to grab the ethernet cards IP address and sends it with the
Dynamic IP address. I setup a reflector on a machine I have access to see
what the error was and this is all the logs would show.

Client at source 207.159.81.XXX is opening a connection
Client's network address does not agree with protocol address 192.168.0.10

If I disable my local IP on my ethernet card I can connect fine but thats
no good since I store some of my important files on the network server. I
need to beable to use my local network at all times. Its not worth the
pain to reconfigure my network and reboot the whole system just to use one
peice of software. There has to be a better way.

I wish there was away to pass this info on to the people who wrote the
software, for example Steve Edgar (mentioned it the About Cu-SeeMe Cornell
Info). There are other bugs with the software but this one is driving me
nuts.

TIA,

Yazz D. Atlas