Re: processor vs. connection speed

Andrew Murn (amurn@tpgi.com.au)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 03:15:12 +1000

I think you've already guessed - the biggest bottleneck is the modem
connection. 25 MHz is pretty slow for any graphics work, but going from 120
to 180 would not make an appreciable difference.

On the other hand, if you're going to upgrade anyway, you might as well go
for the best that you can afford.

At 12:17 PM 4/17/97 -0400, Michael Kankiewicz wrote:

>I hope you cu experts can help me understand something. That is, the
>importance of your computer's power vs. the quality of your internet
>connect?
>
>What aspects of cu are most effected by the quality of the connection, and
>which aspects are most effected by the computer's power?
>
>Send speed? Receive speed? Audio? Video quality?
>
>At work I have a reasonable machine (PMac 84mhz) and a great connect
>(T1?). I get pretty good results. At home I have a very slow machine
>(25mhz Mac '030) and 28.8. If I upgrade the home machine to say, PMac
>120, what aspects of cu would improve, if any at all, considering the 28.8
>modem connection. Would going up to 160 or 180 make any difference over
>120?
>
>Thanks in advance for any insight.
> Michael

My home page: