Re: automated chat

Andrew Brennan (brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:09:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Dr Pepper wrote:

> Automated chat???? SURE there is. It's called "Lisa", and it will hold
> a firly complicated (for a computer) conversation with you.

Sure you don't mean "Eliza" ??

> It was developed at Harvard in the early days of computers and blue
> boxes. It is a demonstration of AI (Artificial Intelligence), and is
> written in basic, and is widely available for free.

I wouldn't have considered Eliza an example of AI ... perhaps a
weak example of parsing text that the user entered, but not AI.
... but I see that Eliza apparently has it's place in CMU's AI
repository with versions in BASIC, LISP, PROLOG, Pascal, etc.:

< http://128.2.242.152/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/classics/ >

Was the original request for a chat-bot for CU-SeeMe conferences?
Or for the CU-SeeMe mailing list??

andrew. (brennan@allegheny.edu)