Re: Audio Only

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:01:39 -0500

David McArdle wrote:

> I wonder if someone can help me.
> I have been asked by a group of schools who are working together to
> investigate the possibility of audio only conferencing. We have slow, modem
> connections and could not support video.
>
> What I would like to know is, is it possible to use Cuseeme in this way? We
> would have a mix of computer types and operating systems.
>
> Thanks in anticipation of your help.
>
> David McArdle
>
> St Mary's Catholic Primary School
> PO Box 4124 Phone: +61-079-511743
> South Mackay Fax: +61-079-514793
> Queensland 4740 email: sms@jasper.cqu.edu.au
> Australia
> http://www.schools.ash.org.au/schools/stmarys
You would be best off using video and chat. Audio takes up the most
bandwidth and uses the most CPU power. Many computers are simply
incapable of useable audio.
A fine example of this type of utilization was a recent performance by a
group of Spanish classes coordinated by
Mara Schaeffer <mschaef@intergate.pasadena.k12.ca.us>
I'm sure that she would not mind giving you some insights.
If not video, then perhaps chat only. CuSeeme would work in this way via
a reflector.