Re: user interfaces

Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:39:38 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Sebastian Knoop-Troullier wrote:
> Having tried both cornell's mac and pc version
> and normally using the pc version, why doesn't
> cornell make the pc version the same as the
> mac version ??

Fundamentally, the versions aren't identical because there's two
development teams..one for the Mac and one for the PC. They collaborate
about what features are in each I believe...but since it's not the same
team, the features get implemented differently.

This has good points and bad points...The bad point is that the Mac and PC
versions aren't exactly alike just "somewhat similar". The good point is
that if one has a horrible interface, then the other one may potentially
have a better interface. Look at White Pine's Enhanced CU 3.1...a
difficult to use interface for the PC which a lot of people dislike. And
now, an increasing amount of Mac users dislike the "adopted" interface
from the PC. In trying to simulate the PC interface, I've heard some
complain that they've made it even harder for the Mac users. The PC
version uses a right-click for a lot of features which the Mac has to
simulate.