Re: status of software

Tue, 7 Apr 1998 05:08:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, leam wrote:
> The cornell reflector software is freeware, but dated 1995. (We use
> linux as a platform).

The linux version of the Cornell reflector has a lot of problems (I
believe it's related to the big endian vs. little endian issue). I'd
suggest trying out Brian Godette's Enhanced Reflector (available at
http://www.dimensional.com/~bgodette/) His 1.07b9 version seems to fix a
lot of the bugs in the latest White Pine 3.X clients as well as allow
color and support for multiple conferences. Best of all, it's completely
free.

> Note that any White Pine advertisements can be sent to me directly, I'm
> willing to look at them.

Ahh..if you have the money to blow ($4000-$20,000 US last I heard) then by
all means check the 2.1 reflector out (From what I've been able to tell,
there won't be a Linux version of MPCS).

> Basic questions-how to add the White Pine codecs, ours only show
> grayscale, and how to limit client usage by time.

The Enhanced Reflector supports color, so there's no need to add any
codecs. Limit client usage by time? I know the White Pine reflectors and
the Enhanced Reflector all have the time-limit command to restrict usage
time. You need to know the exact format of the command?

> "If at first you don't succeed, recompile the kernel!"

Great quote :)