Re: Can't get started

Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:49:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, LLNeedham wrote:
> I've read a lot ahnd everything seems to be working with my Connectix
> camera/software, but the Phonebook I downloaded from Streak gives me either no
> connects or connects to chat lines with nobody on. Do I need to download the
> one that says have connnectged in the last year?

If you're getting no connects..it sounds like you didn't download the list
from active reflectors only. Try getting:
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan?command=printwpcsv&age=0

Then importing...This will get the list sorted my Reflector Name..and only
list the reflectors that the scaner thinks is up.

> Can somebody advise me on a fe reflector sites that have people chatting so I
> can get the feel of this?

As far as chatting...feel free to pop onto my reflector (er..make that
"server").. 128.83.42.61

> Private chats seem hard if you don't have a fixed IP, right?

It's hardER...You can use the Four11 directories (http://www.four11.com)
or ICQ (http://www.mirabilis.com) to get the IPs of your friends. Or you
can just meet them on a reflector and go from there.

> Also all of this talk about enhanced reflectors leaves me confsed about
> whether I need to be seeking some other connection method.

Nope..It sounds like you were doing everything right :)