Re: White Pine CUSeeMe Version 3.1.1

ike relucio (ike_relucio@cyberdude.com)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:50:24 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Godette <bgodette@idcomm.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998 05:50 AM
Subject: Re: White Pine CUSeeMe Version 3.1.1

>>>Unfortunately, the problem sending 3.X private chat to users with
Enhanced
>>>CU 2.X still seems to have problems. Luckily, Brian Godette's Enhanced
>>>Reflector fixes this.
>>
>> Yes, and that's a completely different thing. And not a bug... The older
>>clients have never been able to tell the difference between private &
>>public chat. That's been a problem since GeekTalk. And yes, correctly used
>
>Hmmm, not a bug... ok lets call it a missing feature, a feature that has
>been present in GeekTalk since it's first release and always in GeekPC (and
>the first piece of code I wrote called privchat that I handed off to Mark).
>In anycase it was a pre-existing method (aux Priv) with it's own set of
>rules such as putting <privately> on all private chat to clients that don't
>report supporting aux Priv, which is exactly what my ref does.
>
>>GeekTalk will modify the chat so that it's flagged as private. I know.
>> What Brian did is to modify every private chat packet outgoing to an
older
>>client. I'm glad he took it apon himself to do that, it's a big help to
>>some people. Modifying users chat as it passes through the server is a
>>choice not all people would agree with, however. Is there an option NOT to
>>do that for certain conferences? Not that it's a big deal one way or the
>>other, just curious...
>
>It could, but why? The client *should* work that way to begin with.

Is all this fuss about the private chat all because some third-party add-on
program decided to put <privately> in front of private chat while the white
pine client doesn't ?. The 2.1.x version for Windows does not even mention
anything in the help file about being able to send private chat. As far as
I know, the only real cu-seeme clients that gave you the ability of sending
private chat is the 3.x version of white pine and the .92 version from
cornell. GeekTalk (for Macs) came first and GeekPC just did what GeekTalk
did for Macs. Now people are sayingthat since GeekTalk and GeekPC placed
<privately> in front of private chat, that White Pine should do the same or
that since Brian Godette's ERef inserted the <privately> in front of private
chat, that White Pine's reflectors should do the same.

Is this so-called 'set of rules' for aux Priv mentioned anywhere in white
pine's documentation about their reflector software ? If so, then i would
agree it is a bug that needs fixing.

Somebody needs to make a chronology of when private chat first appeared ---
who did it, on what platform, and if it was a third-party (not cornell, not
white pine) if it was based on any technical specification from either white
pine or cornell.