Re: White Pine CUSeeMe Version 3.1.1

Bill Ryan (bryan@wpine.com)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:13:36 +0100

A couple of comments...

Private (aka whisper) chat is nothing new.
No one has a claim on it.
There are currently no standards for it.
Every chat app. does it differently (to an extent).

White Pine has implemented private chat in their 3.1 clients.
I was not involved in our effort, so I personally do not know the history
of our own implementation.

If you find problems with our own implementation or wish to request an
enhancement/change to how we've implemented it, please forward info. to
cusupport@wpine.com and it'll be placed in our database and addressed
during development cycle (no guarentees).

I think this horse has been flogged to death..................

Thanks,

Bill

>At 11:37 PM -0400 on 4/20/98, Jason Williams wrote:
>
>> This whole argument is rather moot
>> since White Pine is only hurting THEIR customers that are using the 2.X
>> versions. The Cornell Mac and PC versions can both distinguish 3.X's
>> private chat just fine.
>
>Agreed Jason. But not does it hurt their 2.X customers, they are hurting
>their 3.X customers. Because invariably 3.X users will find themselves
>chatting to someone using 2.X, and both sides will be rather confused since
>one thinks the conversation is private, the other doesn't.
>
>I should mention that GeekTalk will omit the '<privately>' if it can detect
>that the other client recognizes private messages. This method of
>detection is supported of course by GeekTalk, as well as Cornell CU-SeeMe
>.92, and Linux CU-SeeMe.
>
>I've sent details on how to do this to White Pine several times, i've never
>heard any response. I do know that the web page I setup containing
>technical information about this has been retrieved by White Pine personel
>after I've sent email, but again never any response. (I love web server
>logs)
>
>FYI, that web page is here:
>
> http://geowww.geo.tcu.edu/chris/geektalk/tech/default.shtml
>

>> Anyway...maybe Chris can comment on when GeekTalk came out and why it
>> supported <privately> to begin with. I can imagine it was for backwards
>> compatibility as well.
>
>Correct, it seemed rather necessary to me that the receiver of messages
>should know if the message is private.
>
>GeekTalk was released in September 1996.
>
>Chris

> Chris Silverberg Visit my homepage at:
> chris@silverberg.net http://www.silverberg.net

Bill Ryan (bill@wpine.com) http://www.wpine.com
White Pine Software, Inc. http://www.cuseeme.com
542 Amherst Street PH: 603-886-9050 x351 Tu/Fri
Nashua, NH 03063 603-529-5070 Mon/Wed/Thur