Re: Java JMF-RTP with CU reflectors?

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:27:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Kai O'Yang wrote:
> A novice question. Is it already possible to interface the reference
> Java JMF 1.0 RTP player with any of the reflectors? In the RTP specs, it
> stated support of H.263, H.261 and JPEG(411,422,111) video encoding and
> DVI 4 bits mono for audio. I wonder if it is possible to setup a broadcasting
> reflector to have one CU client as sender and reflect to a number of
> Java RTP client receivers?

Wow..that's a NOVICE question? hehe
You may wish to contact someone at White Pine about this since their MPCS
server is the one with direct support for H.323.

>From what I can tell, H.263, H.261, etc. only specify standards for video
encoding, not how clients interact. That's like saying: "I have this
program here that plays MJPEG AVIs, can it connect to a reflector?" It
seems more likely that the RTP player you mentioned is for playing back
prerecorded video (recorded with H.263 or H.261 encodings) using RTP. So
I would say, no, it can't interact with reflectors. If it supported the
standards for establishing connections (H.323?) then it may. But even
then, it'd only work with MPCS servers.

The other way to do it is to go through the actions of establishing a
connection on a reflector, then sending the H.263/H.261 video. But then,
it becomes more like a CU client.