Re: White Pine CUSeeMe Version 3.1.1

Bill Ryan (bryan@wpine.com)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:24:27 +0100

We welcome constructive criticism....the first time. After 10 times, it
tends to get old :(

If you encounter what you feel are problems/bugs or if you'd like to see an
enhancement, please send specifics to cusupport@wpine.com.

Sending sometimes vague eMail to this list (such as " But I personally
tried out the grayscale in 3.1.1 and it's still buggy) is counterproductive
to all. What may be a problem for you, may not be a problem for another
person. It could be related to your specific situation. So you are not
doing anyone a favor by "scaring them away" from latest release.

Again, please send specific information to our support dept. if you feel
you have encountered a problem. Obviously, feel free to send same to this
list, but I'd like to request that specifics be included: platform,
versions for all pieces (codecs/digitizers. etc..), codecs used, settings
used, bandwidth available, digitizer user, depth used, OS version, is it a
problem p2p, is it a problem in conf., is it specific to one reflector or
version of reflector, is it specific to p2p between what versions of the
client, etc...).

All of this should be placed in one complete eMail and not trickled among
several. Obviously, if you don't have the time our can't narrow down the
problem, send us as much as possible - thanks.

Bill

>On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Wayne Fisher wrote:
>> Geez.... this whole thread started by my posting of what I thought was
>>some helpful
>> information concerning the beta of White Pine CUSeeMe 3.1.1. I tried to
>>help a few
>> people out by posting this information, and end up getting blasted by Cornell
>> worshippers, reprimanded by ERef developers, and ridiculed by the
>>CUSeeMe user
>> community at large... all for just trying to help a few people out....
>>teaches me to
>> keep my big mouth shut... *sigh*
>
>That's the nice thing about the listserv...you don't HAVE to keep you
>mouth shut. I certainly don't :) hehe
>
>A quote from your original message:
> "2 of the major problems fixed in this new version:
> (1) Failure to transmit using Cornell Greyscale coldec to 2.x and
> cornell users.
> (2) Falilure to transmit Color MPEG codec when you leave and then
> (re)join the same or another reflector"
>
>Had the information you posted had been accurate, I probably wouldn't have
>said anything. But I personally tried out the grayscale in 3.1.1 and it's
>still buggy. Other users chimed in that the MJPEG no-send bug hasn't been
>fixed either. So, in a way, we might have prevented someone from
>wasting an hour downloading 3.1.1.004 hoping that the 3.1.0.25 bugs
>had been fixed and then realizing he just wasted an hour for nothing.
>Feel free to advertise the 3.1.1 version when it's fixed though. That
>will be a glorious day. :)
>
>--
>streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
>streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
>streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
>*************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

Bill Ryan (bill@wpine.com) http://www.wpine.com
White Pine Software, Inc. http://www.cuseeme.com
542 Amherst Street PH: 603-886-9050 x351 Tu/Fri
Nashua, NH 03063 603-529-5070 Mon/Wed/Thur