GetHostByName Errors

Richard Kennerly (kennerly@nr-tech.cit.cornell.edu)
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 14:08:32 -0400

Martin, and Windows CU-SeeMe users:

I would like to see the results of Martin's query posted, especially
to know what user's ended up having to do to solve their own problems
since I often don't hear this and this continues to be a thorn in people's
sides.

From what I can tell so far, this problem has not been insurmountable
for anyone yet; its just very annoying to have to do and easy to mess up.
Also, no other software that I know of requires it. By the way, the reason
that CU-SeeMe needs to do this is that it needs to know its own IP address
(in the CU-SeeMe code, not just the network layers) before it can start
a connection anywhere.

The trickiest winsock stack to deal with has been FTP software's PC/TCP
which has a 'domain completion' field that can screw things up.

In my next mail file to follow, I'll post the new FAQ entry for this
subject.

-Rich Kennerly - <rbk1@cornell.edu> PC Windows CU-SeeMe developer