Aug 19 CU SEEME T SHIRT DAY

Jean Armour Polly (jpolly@nysernet.ORG)
Thu, 18 Aug 1994 16:41:01 -0400

Now that CU SeeMe has been touted in both WIRED and Newsweek this month, it
is time for a celebration of this software and the folks at Cornell who
wrote it.

We decided to celebrate CU SeeMe Day on Aug 19 this year, since it is a
work day and more people will be around than on Saturday Aug 20, which we
believe to be the day of the first off-campus CU SeeMe transmission.

If you have a CU SeeMe T shirt, be sure to wear it tomorrow!

When is CU SeeMe's REAL birthday? Alas, it is lost in collective unconcious...
If you have further historical information, please post it here.

Here is what Dick Cogger says of its inception:
> Well, after a little archive searching, I found the announcement on
> rem-conf of CU-MacVideo0.1, the very first release of what was to become
> CU-SeeMe. Appended below. But that's out at Sept 27th. There were some
> earlier tests with one-way stuff, but I don't seem to have anything back
> that far. ... We could estimate that
> the first communication beyond Cornell happened about Aug 20th, but I
> forget who received it; maybe Steve Erde? Best I can do. -Dick

HISTORIC POST FOLLOWS- JP :-)

> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 92 12:05:42 EDT
> To: rem-conf@osi-west.es.net
> From: Dick Cogger <R.Cogger@cornell.edu>
> Subject: CU-MacVideo0.1
> Cc: Tim Dorcey <tcd@cornella.cit.cornell.edu>
>
> There is a new version of Cornell's pre-alpha experiment in Macintosh
> Internet Video available. It is now capable of 2-way video between 2 Mac's
> equiped with SuperMac VideoSpigot boards. If only one is equiped you can
> get one-way video. There are lots of holes and probably some egregious
> bugs, but I've started and stopped and connected between quadra, cx, ci
> without any outright crashes.
> Switch your screen to 16 grays and check that the grays are spaced in
> order (look at the lower left corner of the Monitors control panel) BEFORE
> YOU CONNECT. If you don't, you may think your Mac has hung, but if you
> have patience it will eventually respond.
> You can get it from:
> comet.cit.cornell.edu, /pub/video/CU-MacVideo0.1.bin
> The file is in MacBinary II format, which Fetch will unpack
> automatically, or use BinHex4.
> If you have the Spigot, you will also need the vdig for it which is
> also in the same directory (and it depends on the Quicktime Extension).
> You need to get a sender running first, then start a receiver (or
> another sender) and use the NEW item on the file menu to connect. Ignore
> name, type in dot-style IP address and OK to go. You're ready to send if
> you see your own picture (mirror image) on the screen. You can test by
> calling 132.236.69.100 which will (if it's running) show you the inside of
> my messy office, and me if I'm there. It's a cx, so performance is not
> stellar. The way it works (so far), I won't see your picture unless I also
> use the NEW item and type in your IP address, which of course, I won't know
> unless you tell me. If you connect and see me there, call me at
> 607-255-7566 and we can try 2-way. If you get a blank window, you might
> have mistyped the IP address or there may be someone else connected. Yes,
> we will smooth out all these little operational glitches real soon.
> If you've seen the earlier SendVideo/Watch... version, this new one
> is a bit slower, and we havn't figured out why yet. This one does have
> aging, so holes left by lost packets will be healed in a few seconds.
> -Dick

Jean Armour Polly jpolly@nysernet.org
Director of User Services and Internet Ambassador
NYSERNet, Inc. 200 Elwood Davis Rd.
Suite 103 Liverpool, NY 13088-6147
315/453-2912 ext 224 FAX 315 453-3052
Co-moderating PUBLIB and PUBLIB-NET since 1992
The Internet Lists for Public Librarians