Re: unsubscribe me

Don Rivers (drivers@NMSU.Edu)
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:33:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Eric Heard wrote:

> At 11:34 AM 8/11/95 -0600, Don Rivers wrote:
> >On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 DAHER@atlas.usc.edu wrote:
> >
> >> Unsubscrie Me NOW!
> >
> >Dear Idiot,
> >
> >How to unsubscribe from the list
> >You must send this mail from the same e-mail address you used to
> >subscribe.
> >

> >Thank you.
>

> DEAR DON,
>

> I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE ORIGINATED. THANX FOR YOUR
> WONDERFUL HELP. TRY A LITTLE COMPASSION IN YOUR LIFE, YOU MAY BE HAPPIER.

I just asked the listproc for a list of subscribers and you aren't in it,
so I guess it went through. There are a lot of things that could have
gone wrong. You could have misspelled unsubscribe, or used the wrong
format. I noticed you has send things like "unsubscrie Me NOW!" which
is neither spelled right nor formatted correctly.
"unsubscribe CU-SEEME-L" is the right format. Secondly, if you did send
the right command to the right address, it could take a while for the
listproc to process it, or more likely, messages that are currently
en-route to you still arrive even after you unsubscribe.
I didn't see you on the subscriber list so I assume you have unsubscribed
successfully.

The reason I was so rude was that you sent it to the listserv itself (the
people who read the list) and not the program responsible for sending you
stuff. Secondly, there are addresses appropriate for mailing to if you
have trouble with the listserv, not the listserv itself.
listmgr@cornell.edu is a good starting point.

Personal philosophies aside, I apologize for calling you an idiot.
You're probably going to run into a lot of this kind of stuff on the
internet, and the best policy is to ignore it. The net is impersonal,
and people will say things to you they would never say to a stranger to
their face, or over the phone. Don't take things too seriously, you may
be happier. <grin> :)

PS: In regards to your last message to the list: NEVER NEVER TYPE IN ALL
CAPS.