Desktop Video Cameras list, was Re: Lights! Camera! Action..!

david a. schlussel (dschluss@engin.umich.edu)
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:08:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Kotak, Ketan wrote:

> I am ready to purchase a video camera for both the use, cu-seeme and
> other image capturing and editing pupose. I'll appreciate if someone
> tells me the pros and cons of a cheap camcorder (apprx. $400) v/s a
> dedicated camera for my PC (apprx. $400)???
>

> Thanx a bunch.
>
> Ketan Kotak
> ketan.kotak@napervilleil.attgis.com

I'll attach a copy of my desktop video cameras page from work
to this message. you can also get to it from my web page (below)
you might also think about getting a camcorder, ALMOST all of them
have standard (compostite/RCA jack) video out that will plug into
ALMOST any video board. Some also have S-Video, etc.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+ David Schlussel +
+ dschluss@umich.edu +
+ MCIT-Special Projects +
+ http://www.umich.edu/~dschluss/ +
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Here is a list of low end desktop videoconferencing
cameras around the $500 range.

Our recommendations:

The Flexcam comes on an adjustable gooseneck which
gives allows it to be repositioned instantly. The
6000 has only a swivel-tilt base. However, the 6000
has higher resolution. None of these listed have remote
pan/tilt/zoom, as those are well outside the $500 range.

The Howard Labs 6000 seems to be a pretty good deal at
$481 including a Tamron Varifocal lens with manual zoom
and focus.

Anyhow, here is the list

1) Howard Enterprises 4000 series black and
white cameras
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 532x500 picture elements,
270K pixels
-Horiz resolution 260 lines
-Focus fixed
-Zoom no
-Audio no
-Document capable not recommended
-Video output composite
-Price $227

2) Howard Enterprises 4000 series color cameras
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 532x500 picture elements,
270K pixels
-Horiz resolution 330 lines
-Focus fixed
-Zoom no
-Audio optional ($17 more for preset level mic)
-Document capable not recommended
-Video output composite
-Price $299

3) Howard Enterprises 5000 series color cameras
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 532x500 picture elements,
270K pixels
-Horiz resolution 330 lines
-Focus fixed
-Zoom no
-Audio optional ($20 for adjustable level mic)
-Document capable not recommended
-Video output composite
-Price $314

4) Howard Enterprises 6000 series color cameras
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 768x494 picture elements,
410K pixels
-Horiz resolution 450 lines
-Focus variable focus
-Zoom manual
-Audio built in mic
-Document capable yes
-Video output S video or composite
-Price $359 with no lens, $481 with varifocus

5) Videolabs Flexcam
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 510x492 picture elements
-Horiz resolution 300 lines
-Focus 1/4" to infinity
-Zoom no
-Audio stereo mic
-Document capable yes
-Video output composite
-Price $595

6) Videolabs Flexcam Pro
-CCD image 1/3" CCD, 510x492 picture elements
-Horiz resolution 300 lines
-Focus 1/4" to infinity
-Zoom no
-Audio stereo mic