Re: FWD>QuickCam for PC

Ian Carr-de Avelon (avelon@phys.uva.nl)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 10:02:00 +0200


Dear All,
here is some info I received from Connectix. It does not state that
it will work with CU-SeeMe, but it does say that it will work with video for
Windows, as that is also the criteria for use of hardware with with CU-SeeMe
there would appear to be a 90% chance that 1+1=2 +/- 10% QED.
I just can't believe that they would not add it to the list of
claims if they have tried it, and I can't believe that they would not try it
if they have a working camera.
Yours
Ian

>Date: 23 Aug 1995 09:14:34 U
>From: "Zack Uribe" <uribe@connectix.com>
>Subject: Re: FWD>QuickCam for PC
>To: "Ian Carr-de Avelon" <avelon@phys.uva.nl>
>
> RE>FWD>QuickCam for PC 8/23/95
>
>QUICKCAM FOR WINDOWS
>
>Everything You Need to Make Movies and Take Pictures
>Using QuickCam* for Windows is the easy way to make movies and take
pictures with your PC. QuickCam from Connectix is the first affordable,
easy-to-use digital still and video camera for Windows.
>QuickCam uses direct digital imaging to create grayscale movies and still
pictures. The included software makes using the camera a snap. Use the
images you create in the programs supplied or add your movies and pictures
to thousands of other Windows applicationsQvirtually anything that supports
Windows AVI movies or standard Windows BMP or TIFFimages.
>Installation is easyQjust plug in the cable, insert the disk and start the
Setup utility. Seconds later, youUre ready to create your first movie or
take your first picture. ThereUs no need to take apart your computer, set
switches or purchase additional hardware. QuickCam even works with portable
computers that have a parallel port.
>Make Movies
>You supply the talent, QuickCam does the rest. Add video to your training
materials. Add moving images to your business presentations. Let your
children put themselves into edutainment products like KidPix. Send mail
with a video of your new product in action. Record messages for your remote
staff. QuickCam is so amazingly convenient and easy to use you can decide to
record video anytime or anywhere!
>
>Snap Pictures
>QuickCam lets you instantly add pictures to any program that supports
standard Windows BMP or TIFF images. Add photos to your documents and
brochures. Dress up your newsletter. Put employee pictures on badges and in
your employee database. Catalog your valuables for insurance reporting. Add
product photographs to your presentations. Create wallpaper for your
desktop. Grab a starter image for work with Photoshop. And thereUs no long
wait to see the image like there is with other still digital cameras.
QuickCam makes instant digital photography truly instantQas easy as point
and click!
>Have Fun
>Use the software included with QuickCam to put yourself in the picture.
QuickCam includes a screen saver with live video! Create a photo gallery for
your desktop. In addition, QuickCam software integrates perfectly with the
PC, so you can add live video and still images to all of your favorite
Windows applications. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
>QuickCam Technology
>QuickCam is a fully digital video camera. It uses a state-of-the-art, black
and white Charge-Coupled-Device (CCD) array to accurately capture 4-bit
grayscale video and 6-bit still images. QuickCam sends these digital bits
directly to your PC through a parallel port, such as your computerUs
built-in printer port. This gives you higher quality at a lower cost than
solutions that convert to analog video and back. The array can capture
images up to 320x240 pixels, or about a quarter of a standard VGA monitor.
>
>QuickCamUs lens has a 65! field of view, about the same as a camera with a
wide-angle lens (equivalent to a 38mm lens on a 35mm camera). Focus is fixed
from 18" to infinity. Frame rates are up to 18 per second for a 160x120
pixel image (frame rates may be limited by the performance of your PC).
QuickCam connects to your PCUs parallel port using the 5' cable supplied
QuickCam is truly plug-and-play.
>Standard Features
>l CCD-based digital video camera
>l Resolution up to 320x240 pixels
>l Windows-based movie recorder and editor
>l Windows-based still picture capture utility
>l Microsoft Video for Windows included
>l Camera stand
>l Tripod socket for permanent mounting capability
>Requirements
>l PC equipped with a 386, 486, Pentium or equivalent processor.
>l Windows 3.1 or 3.11, Windows for Workgroups 3.1 or 3.11.
>l Standard 25-pin parallel port (for example, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3).
Unidirectional and EPP ports are also supported.
>l 4 MBs of RAM required.
>l Hard disk required to store movies.
>l Sound card (for example, SoundBlaster) required for audio in movies.
>
>Connectix provides toll-free technical support and a satisfaction guarantee
for all its products.
>
>Connectix Corporation
>2655 Campus Drive, San Mateo, CA
>800.950.5880 % 415.571.5100 % Fax: 415.571.5195
>
>) 1995 Connectix Corporation. QuickCam is a trademark of Connectix
Corporation. All other trademarks are property of their respective holders
>
>
>
>
*************************************************
* Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon@phys.uva.nl *
* http://pc-ia184.phys.uva.nl/avelon.htm *
* *
* dept. of Physics Education *
* University of Amsterdam *
* Netherlands *
*************************************************