Re: 32 Bit Application

Little Robbie Burcham (burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 14:01:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Rodney M. Dyer wrote:

> >Since Windows 95 is finally out now, and with Windows NT gaining more and
> >more users, it might be time to consider porting CU-SEEME for Windows to be
> >a 32 bit application. Even people using Windows 3.1 can use Win32s and
> >still run it.
> >
> >That would be one way to dramatically improve performance. Just thought I'd
> >throw that out there for comment.
>
> Just a note of caution...
>
> 32 Bit apps are not allways faster. Because of more overhead and/or
> programmer experience, they can be downright sluggish at times. As
> programmers become more comfortable with the 32 Bit environment they will
> improve. Use caution at this time.
>
> Rodney

Rodney has a good point. It should be noted that although it is true Win
3.1 users CAN run 32 bit apps using the Win32s DLL, performance is akin
to a jogging turtle on a tred-mill.

Rob Burcham - BS, Computer Science
University of Kansas "He's nuts! Somebody grab him!"
Department of Special Education
http://robb.sped.ukans.edu
http://www.ukans.edu/~burcham