Re: Help ...

Rogene Talento (labrat@teleport.com)
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 16:41:22 -0700

At 10:54 PM 8/27/95 -0800, J. Lau wrote:

>I just subscribed to the list ... so please be nice to me. First
>of all, I would like to say that I have made an honest-to-god
>effort to read through the web pages. Some of the links (including
>some FAQs) are dead and now I am rather lost. Sigh. :(
>
>Fact : I have a Mac and I would like to talk to an IBM.
> InternetPhone works on IBMs only.
> NetPhone works on Macs only.
> My phone bills are high enough that I have even considered
> buying an IBM just so that I can talk.
>
>ALL I want is audio. From the web pages, it seems that "audio
>would not work if connection is made via modem"..."audio does
>not work on the IBM platform."..."You need Sound Manager for
>pre 7.5 Mac OS (the ftp link is dead)"....
>
>I am just very confused right now. Would some kind soul please
>tell me if I can have an audio connection with an IBM using
>CUSeeME ? I have been asking about this on the NetPhone mailing
>list but didn't get much help. Is my only solution buying a new
>computer ?
>
>I have a 68030 Mac running at 16MHz and the modem connection is
>14.4K ..... 28.8K with compression. The IBM I am trying to talk
>to is a 486 at 25MHz. Both have PPP connection.

Audio is possible between Macs and PCs via CU-Seeme, assuming you both have
CU-Seeme operating correctly, and you both have minimum 28.8 connections.
It is also "easier" if both of you are capable of transmitting video as
well, so that you are able to access the Audio compression options. At
28.8, only the HIGHEST compression scheme (or LOWEST quality), Delta-Mod
16K/s, provides useful audio...

I am in a similar situation, and have been trying for weeks to connect my PC
to my brother who is a Mac user...

Rogene
| labrat@teleport.com | Internet Services |
| http://www.teleport.com/~labrat/ | for the Northwest |
| IPhone, CU-Seeme, Canucks, & Karaoke! | Portland, OR, USA |