Re: Win Audio via dialup

Little Robbie Burcham (burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu)
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:00:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Roger Lee Boston wrote:

> Reading the below explanation got me to wondering ... WHY is it hard for
> CuSeeMe to do voice and video in a 14.4 data bandwidth via a network,
> when a point-to-point modem connection via SV3000 gives superb full
> duplex audio, a white board, -AND- a few frames/second in color at that
> same speed? What is the network (or CuSeeMe) demanding that a
> point-to-point connection via POTS does not?
> Roger Boston
> HCCS Distance learning, http://www.hccs.cc.tx.us

The system you describe has the benefit of specific hardware (the
expansion card) doing all the work... primarily compressing the bee-geezus
out of the outgoing data (and uncompressing the incoming stream). There
is a lot you can do when you build an expensive card to do it :)

Rob Burcham - BS, Computer Science
University of Kansas "He's nuts! Somebody grab him!"
Department of Special Education
http://robb.sped.ukans.edu
http://www.ukans.edu/~burcham