Color Quickcam vs. B&W Quickcam

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 19:07:12 -0700

At 08:07 PM 8/8/96 -0500, MWZ wrote:
>Hello there,
>
>I like to buy a Connectix QuickCAM . I found there have so many problems
>in Color CAM. Can anyone tell me should I buy a Color Cam or just buy
>a B&W Cam for the security sake in order to avoid all the exiting
>problem occurs in Color CAm.
>In fact, I prefer Color CAM. I afraid one day the B&W CAM will faded
>out.
>Please give me any advice on that . Thank you in advance.
>
>Best regards
>Ken

Hello Ken,

I use both the color and b&w models. I prefer the b&w model, for the
following reasons:

1) It's cheaper
2) The image it produces is sharper
3) It uses less bandwidth (given that White Pine does not yet support the
VIDEC compression method which is built into the color version)
4) It is less hassle to use (the focusing ring on my unit doesn't like to
stay put)
5) It can be seen by ALL CU users using any version of CU/ECU and connecting
via any reflector (Cornell or White Pine)

I-F White Pine ever gets its act together, and supports VIDEC compression on
the color camera, and allows one to broadcast in grayscale from the color
camera at will (for compatibility's sake), then I might just change my mind.

Of course ONE day the b&w camera will be phased out. Your US$85 might become
obsolete. So what else is new? I was just remarking the other day that I had
paid $8,000 for 64k of static ram back in 1980 (I know, I know, I'm giving
away my age!). Yes, that is 64k with a 'k' not an 'm'. If one uses the
excuse that something will be phased out, I guess nobody yet would have
bought their first electronic calculator!

Cheers,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| web: www.usr.mobius.net/strev
-Future Technologies in Medicine / | CUSeeMe: ws1.streveler.xo.com
Methodologies | 415 469-9476 fax