Re:ISDN and netmeeting

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 01:03:31 -0500

>Date: Fri, 09 Aug 96 14:02:00 PDT
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Patrick Larouche <PLarouche@postmedia.speedware.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: ISDN and netmeeting
>

> ----------

Yes. Read the following as an EXAMPLE of how to do this.

>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:56:29 -0600
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: star@gvi.net (Grant Newland)
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: NOT possible? 2 PC's? C'moooooonnnnn
>
>> From: "John R. Haggis" <haggis@cesium.com>
>> Ravi,
>>
>> It is NOT possible to connect 2 PC's directly for CuSeeMe in its current
state

>I have done this both dialing one to the other directly, and, through a
>serial cable between two PC's on a desk. I used Trumpet Winsock 2.0b,
>although any version can do it. Setup Winsock with a false IP address,
>and remove the name server address and domain name entries (make them
>blank). Make sure both ends have identical values and port bit rates.
>
>For a serial cable test, confirm the serial link works first with Comit or
>terminal on each end, you should get NO local echo of characters, only
>on the opposite end should they show. For modem to modem, set one
>of the Winsocks to manual dial, and enter the auto answer command
>(ats0=1), then escape to PPP or SLIP again. The other side dials.
>
>Once both sides are in PPP or SLIP, one CUSM can connect to the false
>IP address given to the other side. No name server queries are made, and
>PPP client to client works.
>
>One thing to remember, the maximum transmit rate on side A is controlled
>by the setting on side B for minimum transmit rate, and this must be set
>to a high value before the CUSM connection is made. I don't know why,
>but it's the truth.
>
>There's no other mysteries to doing this. It's a valuable test for determining
>what affects what.
>
>Grant
>
>P.S. I have 97 mail messages in one day from this thing, I will have to
>back out after this evening. I am always available by direct e-mail.
>Good luck all !!
>

>If so, do the peformance increses?

If your packets go directly from one MODEM to the other, without going thru
the routers necessary for an internet link, then I would THINK that any
DELAYS caused by internet connections would/should be totally eliminated.
This does NOT mean that you can transmit or receive any faster. The ISDN
digital modem/bitsurfer or whatever you want to call it can still only
transmit and receive at a particular speed (approx. 64k or 128k).

>I search about that, but I didn't get a clear answer.
>
>I was also wondering if Cu-seeme could be shared as an application with
microsoft >netmeeting. Is it bidirectionnal.

Good question...do the above and let us know if it worked :)

>Thank you.
>
>Patrick Larouche (plarouche@speedware.com)

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC