Re:Three-way CU-SEEME conferencing

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:11:04 -0500

>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:20:50 +0100
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Shicheng.Tian@itri.brighton.ac.uk (Shicheng Tian)
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Three-way CU-SEEME conferencing
>
>Hi there,
>I want to use CU-SEEME to do simple three-way video conferencings and would
>like to obtain advice on how to do this. The following are the facilities I
>have:
>
>1. One Sun workstation running Solaris 2.5 and three Macintosh machines.
>The workstation and the Macs are networked via departmental LANs and are
>able to be accessed via internet;
>
>2. One Mac has a camera suit (QuickPict, version 1.0.3) installed.
>
>I know that I may need to install a software called reflector on
>the sun workstation and one CU-SEEME client program for each of the three Macs.

True. For more than two participants, you will need a reflector.

>I would like to get more information on:
>
>1. Which reflector program I should install on the sun workstation and where
>I can find it?

Go to http://www.wpine.com and follow the links to CU-SeeMe, download the
reflector program from there (30 day free trial). Be sure to also get a
REGISTRATION number while you are there.

There is a reflector program for the MAC at this address:
ftp://yavin.mit.edu/Pub/cuseeme/

if you want to try that instead of using the SUN.

>2. Which CU-SEEME client program I need to install on the Macs and where to
>find it?

Again, go to http://www.wpine.com and follow the links to CU-SeeMe, download
the Macintosh client from there (30 day free trial). Be sure to also get a
REGISTRATION number while you are there.

>3. Do I need to install another kind of camera suit in case QuickPict is not
>proper for CU-SEEME? Can you recommend one for me?

I think you are referring to the Quickcam, which is the actual camera.
QuickPict is a program that came with the camera, and allows you to save
video to a jpg file.

>4. Do I need to install other hardware/software facilities (e.g. video cards)
>in order to run three-way CU-SEEME video conferencing?

Nope. The reflector program, Quickcams, and the CU-SeeMe client are all you
should need to get started.

>Thanks.

welcome

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)