IR lighting

Francisco Neira B. (fneirab@amauta.rcp.net.pe)
Tue, 13 Aug 96 21:43:18 -0400 (EDT)

At 19:11 13/08/96 -0400, you wrote:
>A long the same lines, has anybody done any testing with the Quick Cam using
>infrared illumination? I've seen references to them "seeing in the dark" and
>have found that they do "see" the IR output from a TV remote. Anybody have
>more info?

Hello,
Your idea sounded so interesting for me that a few moments ago, here at home
I made an experiment.

On a dark room, I turned on an Infraphil Phillips infrared lamp (150W) and
aimed the QuickCam to the same target. Result: An image with better
definition than with normal incandescent lamps. Shortcoming of the test:
This lamps have a *lot* of visible red components, because are the ones used
for medical purposes, and not intended to be pure IR sources.

Tell me if you can set better testing conditions.
Regards,

Francisco
"Be thankful for problems. If they were less difficult, someone with
less ability might have your job"
- Bits & Pieces
Francisco Neira
Computer Programmer/Network Administrator
Lima - Peru, South America -5:00 GMT
Data/Voice +51(1)460-0627