Re: SUPPORT FOR COMPAQ PRESARIO 978CDTV VIDEO BOARDS IN

NICHOLAS J NOVAK (spiro@cris.com)
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:22:32 -0400 (EDT)

> [...]
>>3) If your capture card is sending compressed video output (i.e. MPEG,
>>Indeo) then it will not work properly with CU-SeeMe. Refer to the
>>documentation that came with your capture card to find out how to send
>>uncompressed video output.
>>
>>Check these things, and I'm sure that will help.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>

>>>Dear Sirs: Would you please provide me with the necessary information to
>>>support
>>> White Pines CUSEEME VER 2.02.2 for Windows 95 Enhanced version.
>>>I own a Compaq Presario 978CDTV pentium 75mhz computer with a TV tuner.
>>>Cuseeme setup does not recognize any video board at startup giving the
>>>message that I will be unable to Send or Capture Video due to the absence of
>>>a video board or the proper drivers in my computer.
>>>
>>> However,I am currently using an RCA video camcorder which I have hooked
>>>up to the computer and have the ability to capture video from the camcorder
>>>and from the TV card. Information has been given to me pertaining to the
>>>fact that a camcorder can be used for sending of live video streams in
>>>CUSEEME.Can you provide me with the proper video drivers from White Pine or
>>>from Compaq Computer
>>>so that I may be able to use CUSEEME for video sends? Or can you direct me
>>>to a WEBSITE where I might find more information on where to obtain these
>>>drivers.
>>>
>>> Given that I can see myself on the screen using my RCA camcorder my
>>>Compaq computer must contain a video board and possibly all that I need to
>>>run your software correctly is the proper video drivers for my video capture
>>>board.
>>>Unfortunately the manual or other documentation that came with the computer
>>>nor Windows95 can tell me what brand or manufacturer name made the video
>>>capture board which is in my computer the only information I could learn was
>>>that the drivers in there now are the Orchid Videola Video Capture ones with
>>>the ESS Technology,Inc. ESS ES688 AudioDrivers.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you have placed this information on the WWW if so maybe you
>>>could direct me to that site so that I can solve this problem.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas J, Novak
>>> spiro@concentric.com
>>
>>Also please take a look at our F.A.Q.s (Frequently Asked Questions) at
>>http://support.cu-seeme.com/WhiteP/FAQS.HTM for answers to common
>>questions.
>>
>>****************************************************************************
>>Paul Kingston White Pine Software, Inc.
>>CU-SeeMe Technical Support 40 Simon Street
>>(pkingston@wpine.com) Nashua, NH 03060-3043
>> (603) 886-9050
>>
>>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men"
>>- Willy Wonka
>>****************************************************************************
>>

>Recenly on one of the whitepine reflectors and a user by the name of MRTV
said that possibly you might be able to help me regarding the setup of my
RCA camcorder for video sends in CUSEEME?

>Called COMPAQ computer and they were very little help but to say that the
video capture board in my presario 978CDTV is manufactured by Compaq but
could not give me even a model#!!!

>WIN95 control panel under system devices hardware profiles video controller
says i have an ORCHID VIDEOLA VIDEO CAPTURE installed and lists manufacturer
as MICROSOFT VIDEO CAPTURE.

>Driver files installed say C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\avwin.dll
> \avcapt.drv
> \avvxP500.vxd
>
>Can you please tell me if this video capture board will work with Enhanced
CUSEEME or find out where I can obtain the proper drivers for this board so
that I might be able to send and capture live video streams in your program?

>Perhaps the C:\WINDOWS\avwin.ini needs to be reconfigured?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help which you can give me in this matter as it
is greatly appreciated and perhaps if we can solve this problem I can pass
along this information to the many other COMPAQ computer users who wish to
use your excellent videoconferencing software.

>Sincerely,
>
>NICHOLAS J. NOVAK
>spiro@concentric.com
>PUGSLEY(cuseeme nickname)
>08/05/96

Also using the CORNELL version and would like some feedback from anyone
there regarding my dilema. The CORNELL version also refuses to acknowledge
my video capture board.Here are the details on my video capture board as I
physically pulled the board and these were the markings I found.

SYSTEM: COMPAQ PRESARIO MODEL#978CDTV 900 SERIES

TVO BOARD COMPAQ COMPUTER CORPORATION MODEL#MG9910-20893

FOR USE ONLY WITH COMPAQ COMPUTER PRODUCTS

1:)LARGEST CHIP ON THE BOARD IS CEI CEI Pte Ltd. Copyright 1994 CEI

2:)SECOND chip is PHILLIPS #SAA 7110 WP
322660
DfD9448V1X
Phillips 1994
3:)Third chip is OKI,JAPAN #M548262-70
4452201

4:)FOURTH CHIP IS ST Hong-Kong #STV8438CV
25GNA9448

Bar Coded sticker on board says COMPAQ #45065 & #CX 171096 19C

FCC ID #HBY33A-TVO 2C Made In Singapore

PORTS ON BACK OF COMPUTER WHERE TV CABLES,SVGA MONITOR AND RCA VIDEO CAMCORDER
CONNECT ARE AS FOLLOWS:

1)ANTENNA COAXIAL CABLE TYPE

2)RCA STYLE VIDEO INPUT JACK

3)VGA LOOPBACK CONNECTION

4)TV SVGA MONITOR CONNECTOR BY WIESON 15 pin female connector

I have read all the readme files with the CORNELL version and the WHITEPINE
version but cannot get this to work,surely someone out there must have the
same or similar COMPAQ computer as I do and if so please respond to this
listserv as I have been trying to get this to work for 2 months now.

I would also think that it would be in the interest of CORNELL and WHITEPINE
to address this problem so that the thousands of COMPAQ computer owners
could use your software which benefits your respective companies.Please try
and test this particular board and let me know what you come up with and I
thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

spiro@concentric.com