Re: EVENT: Republican National Convention

Brian O'Shea (boshea@wpine.com)
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:01:20 -0400

>I watched (out of curiousity) and was surprised by the performance. I
>was getting 10-12 frames per second at times (w/28.8 Kbps modem) and
>some sound. A freeze of the video did not significantly improve the
>audio but when the packets were arriving, good color and better than
>normal refresh rate -- I would guess because there were no other
>xmitters.
>
>Rob
>_______________________
>k1oik@ccsnet.com wrote:

>> WK>It would probably be more interesting to watch paint dry.
>>
>> Or listen to ham radio.
>> Ofcourse the welfare conevention is coming in a few weeks.
>>
>> Burt Fisher
>> ===========================
>> http://www.ccsnet.com
>> telnet://ccsnet.com
>> Cape Cod's Internet Address
>> ===========================

The reason the performance is good is twofold. First, we have a big pipes, so
the narrowest portion of the bandwidth between you and the reflector is likely
your modem.

Second, it's coming from a White Pine 2.1 Beta Reflector which is running in
the new "observer" mode. All this means is that you, as an observer, do not
recieve information about any other observers. Although there may be as many
as 98 other users on the reflector, you will not receive information about
them. If there were 98 users connected, or even as few as 10 othere users,
the amount of bandwidth used just to inform you about them is bandwidth that
could be better used to send you the audio/video that you connected in to
watch.