Re: EVENT: Republican National Convention

Steve Rogers (srogers@mcc.com)
Fri, 16 Aug 96 12:46:47 CDT

> From: Brett Schechter <bschec@ccnet.com>
>
> I'm new to the list, and must state that socio-political discussion is/
> was not my original intent. However, the guantlet being cast I would
> interject some simple Randian missives. To wit, corporations have
> facilitated the ease with which I may convey this transmission. They
> have made this THE GREATEST, FAIREST and most politically STABLE nation
> in the world. And my tenures in Sweden, France and Britain have
> calcified those thoughts.

Nothing in these "missives" is attributable to Rand. This is simple
Republicanism. Corporations have not made America great. Sweeden,
France, and Brittain have corporations. The qualities you cite are
made possible by the intellectual foundations laid by Aristotle, Locke,
and others - not by corporations nor the welfare state. Rand is not
a champion of the corporation.

> > On Wed, 14 Aug 1996 k1oik@ccsnet.com wrote:
> >
> > > Ofcourse the welfare conevention is coming in a few weeks.
> >
> > I've been trying not to enlarge this discussion that doesn't really
> > belong on this mailing list, but I can't stop myself this time.
> >
> > The RNC convention looks like THE welfare convention to me. Corporate
> > welfare, that is.

It is meaningless to defend corporations as a group, because just like
individual people, they each have their own track record. Some slimy
businessmen like Lee Iacocca push for govt. favors ($) for business
which *IS* corporate welfare. At the same time, little petulant dictators
like Robert Reich call tax reductions "corporate welfare" - equating
legitimate property with redistributed wealth. Its impossible to
discuss the topic using generalities like "corporate welfare" when these
terms are purposefully used by politicians to cloud genuine issues.

Steve