Re:Mixing B&W with Color

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:25:35 -0500

>Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:56:45 -0400 (EDT)
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Edwin George <egeorge@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Mixing B&W with Color
>
>I want to videoconference with 2 machines (PC's), one with a B&W Quickcam
>and one which will soon have a color Quickcam. I want to use a direct
>connection (no ref). Obviously I will need WP's Enhanced CU on the machine
>with the color Quickcam. Will the other machine (now with regular CU) be able
>to "see" a B&W image from the machine with the color Quickcam? If not, suppose
>I get WP's enhanced CU for both machines (color transmission one way, B&W
>the other...)? This may be a problem anyway, as the machine with the B&W
>Quickcam is a '386, and I gather WP's enhanced CU requires a '486 or
>better. Any help appreciated.
>
>----
>Edwin (Ted) George, M.D., Ph.D. egeorge@jhu.edu

You got it figured out for yourself already. The COLOR user, already using
the WP version, should be able to see the b&w just fine, whether the b&w is
using the Cornell version, or the WP version, but the b&w user will have to
use the White Pine version of CU to be able to see the color picture. The
386 MIGHT be able to run the WP version, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe