Re:Image problems

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 22:59:01 -0500

>Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:55:20 -0700
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Hahn Pham <caep0012@paisley.ac.uk>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Image problems
>
>Hi there,
>
> I just have install my Quickcam with windows 95. I tested with
>Quickpic and Quickmovies the image was great, before I could load
>CUSeeMe win 95 crashed on me. My friend then decided to install the new
>version of win 95, Once finished, we try to tests with CUSeeMe, Quickpics
>and Quickmovies but this time the picture was extremely poor (by 50%).
>We don't know why this has happen. I try to adjust the brightness but
>without any luck. My friend told me that he had deleted PCI driver
>before installation, I'm now using Super VGA driver, does this affect the
>quality of the picture at the transmittion and at the reciver ends? Where
>can I get this driver? I don't have it because I bought PC from some one
>else.

Right click on the desktop and click on PROPERTIES. Go to the SETTINGS tab
and under Color Palette select at least 256 colors.

CU-SeeMe requires at least 256 colors to display the images.

> Another problem I have encounter is when I go to File/Video Setup
>it does not give me the Image format or Video source of the capture
>device.

Reinstall the Quickcam software, and then follow these instructions:

>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 15:37:11 -0500
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Rich Kennerly <rbk1@cornell.edu>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Getting the QuickCam to work with Windows '95
>
>Windows Users (with QuickCam's),
>
> A number of Win'95 users have reported problems getting the QuickCam
>to work with CU-SeeMe. Here is a FAQ entry I just added to the ftp
>server: cu-seeme.cornell.edu. Let me know if you've done all these
>steps and things don't work, or if you know of other things that need
>to be checked.
>
> Thanks,
>
>-Rich Kennerly - PC Windows CU-SeeMe developer. <rbk1@cornell.edu>
>QuickCam doesn't work with Win'95
>
>Here are the steps to take to install a QuickCam with Window '95
>
>1) Run the QuickCam installer.
>
>2) Make sure the capture driver, called QUICKCAM.DRV, is in the
> /WINDOWS/SYSTEM directory.
>
>3) Check the file SYSTEM.INI (in the /WINDOWS directory) and make sure
> there's an entry in the [drivers] section for msvideo like this:
>
> msvideo=quickcam.drv
>
> If you've had another capture driver installed you might see another
> driver listed as msvideo and another entry, msvideo1=quickcam.drv. In
> this case you should switch the quickcam to be msvideo and the other
> driver to be msvideo1.
>
>4) Use the Win'95 Control Panel for Multimedia. On the 'Advanced' section,
> double click on the Video Capture Devices icon. You should see an
> entry for QuickCam. Double click on the icon for QuickCam. Make sure
> the "Use the video capture device" choice is selected.
>
>5) Restart Win'95.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe