Re:CU-SeeMe, CU-Doodle, and NT 3.51

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:29:50 -0500

>Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:10:17 -0500
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: "Howell, Burgess" <Burgess.Howell@msfc.nasa.gov>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: CU-SeeMe, CU-Doodle, and NT 3.51
>
>Last night I finally cracked the nut and got CU 0.84b7 running with
>CU-Doodle on NT 3.51. I got connected to the WP self-reflector and
>got decent (~2fpm) video rates. Didn't do any playing with the audio,
>but with a 14.4 modem, I figure it's not worth worrying about.
>
>I'd really like to run ECU, but it refuses to recognize the CU-Doodle
>driver. Anyone know why? During the ECU setup, the capture area
>shows up and I am asked if I want to override the default video
>settings, but at run time I get the "CU-SeeMe cannot detect a
>video-capture device" error.

First of all, make up your mind which version you're going to use and stick
with it. The Cornell version and the White Pine version both put their
cuseeme.ini file in the windows directory, which is something I'VE
complained about since the first WP version. These two version put
different info into the file, and it's possible to get it so screwed up by
bouncing back and forth between the two versions that the Cornell version
just won't connect to anything.

In my WP version's ini file I have the following:

>[Capture Settings]
>InvertGrayTable=No
>InvertImage=No
>CaptureDeviceIndex=0
>CaptureDeviceName=QuickCam video capture driver
>CaptureDepth=24

In my system.ini file I have this:
>[drivers]
><unnecessary stuff deleted>
>MSVIDEO=quickcam.drv
>msvideo1=cudoodle.dll

The CaptureDeviceIndex in the cuseeme.ini file is ZERO, which means that
CU-SeeMe will use the driver on the "msvideo=" line. If the
CaptureDeviceIndex was 1, then CU-seeMe would use the driver on the
"msvideo1=" line. An index of 2 would mean "msvideo2=", etc.

Check both of these files on your system and edit the cuseeme.ini file
accordingly. This SHOULD have been taken care of by the WP install program,
but evidently something didn't get written out correctly.

The actual INSTALL program uses MSVideo for Windows (VFW) for the TEST,
where you saw the CUDOODLE capture area. The actual CU-seeMe CLIENT does
NOT use VFW, it uses the driver. Kind of an odd way to write an install
program, in my opinion, but I guess they did the best they could.

>Burgess
>
>Burgess F. Howell
>Global Hydrology and Climate Center
>Marshall Space Flight Center
>burgess.howell@msfc.nasa.gov
>205 922 5908
>---
>Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
>A: 3. One to hold the giraffe and 2 to fill the bathtub with brightly
>colored machine tools.
>

>Attachment Converted: C:\WINDOWS\EUDORA\CU-SeeMe, CU-Doodle, and NT 3.5

See the line above? You need to fix something in your mw mail setup...there
is no need to send the message itself as an attachment also. This ends up
creating lots of little unnecessary files for people that don't use ms mail.
Thanks.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe