RE: D-Cam

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 23:39:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, John W.Osborne wrote:

> Given the choice, I would prefer speed at a lowly level of 4 or 16
> 'scales" of grey to 64 or 128 at a turtle's pace.
>
> Your kilometreage may differ.

You must be joking. 16 greys images look like one big BLUR on low
resolution. Of course you could always use 2 shades of "gray" (b&w only)
and have your resolution go up to 1024x768 which would make any image look
decent. But then again, the image filesize wouldn't be much smaller.

So I suspect that for 160x120, anything under 64 shades would look like
crap... You're probably better off using CUDoodle+its_Assistant to reduce
the viewable image resolution and by that increasing frame rate (while
maintaining decent colors). Or if you can't do that, just cover a part of
your camera's lens to reduce the amount of changing, viewable image
(faster frame-rate).

Heck, if I were on a cellular connection (9600 baud), I'd sure as hell
reduce the practical resolution to 80x60 if not less...

Ron