Re: Gethostname () failed (10014)

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:48:02 -0500

Stephanie McLaughlin wrote:

> Yes, another Gethostname problem. I've consulted appropriate FAQs as
> well as some archived listserv messages and various folks' websites
> relating to Cu-SeeMe; no luck. Here are the gory details of the error
> message and the various remedies I've tried:
>
> I've installed Cornell's CU-SeeMe software for Windows 3.1 (W0.84B7) on an
> IBM ValuePoint PC running Lan Workplace software. When I launch CU-SeeMe,
> I receive the following error/info boxes:
>
> 1) Gethostname() failed (10014)
> I select OK
>
> 2) Would you like to open the CU-SeeMe Help file?
> I select NO
>
> 3) Problems with the Receive Network Initialization. CU-SeeMe will
> exit.
> I select OK, but CU-SeeMe does not exit
>
> 4) Unable to create the (invisible) Network window.
> I select OK
>
> 5) CU-SeeMe opens the main window and a "working" camera window.
> However, under the conference menu selection, the connect option
> is inoperative.
>
> Here's some additional info:
>
> 1) My PC has a STATIC IP address and is defined in the DNS.
>
> 2) Lan Workplace is successfully resolving various IP addresses:
> I can perform IP Resolve and Pings on my PC's address and
> name as well as IP addresses of other reflectors.
>
> 3) NO firewalls.
>
> 4) NO TIA.
>
> 5) I've tried the various FAQ suggestions re:this error and Lan
> Workplace:
>
> - To be safe, created a hosts file, with my PC's IP address and
> nickname, in the same directory as the winsock.dll. I've
> used the PC nickname with and without the domain name.
>
> - Adding tcp_sockets, udp_sockets, raw_sockets info to the
> net.cfg file.
>

> Suggestions, anyone?
>
> Thanks "ahead of time",
>
> Stef McLaughlin
Do a search of your hard drive and look for multiple Winsock files. You
should only have one. Get the latest version from
http://www.trumpet.com.au/wsk/winsock.htm .
Also, go to Bill Woodlands site http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW/
and look at the GetHostName() Error Help section.
Are you absolutely sure that you have a fixed IP?