Re: Anyone have help on Max Send/Rec rates and Ref tuning.

Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:07:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Darwin C. Weyh wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to learn more about the Max Send and Receive rates.

The max send rate governs the maximum amount of data that you can attempt
to send to another client or reflector. From past experience, if the max
send rate is too high, you might start to timeout due to trying to send
more than your modem can handle. This also tends to lead to chat lag
since all of your bandwidth is being used by sending (or attempting to
send).

The max receive rate regulates the maximum amount of data that you'll
accept from another client or reflector. Having the max receive set too
much higher than your connection can support also leads to timeouts and
chat lag since, if you're on a reflector with multiple windows open, the
reflector tries to send you as much data as it can without going over your
max receive rate. I'm not sure of the details, but I believe the
reflector is supposed to notice the amount of packet loss you've sent or
received and adjust the caps for sending and receiving for you.

> also how to best tune a small ref. I'd also like documentation on the
> ref setting.

You didn't mention which kind of reflector (Cornell, Enhanced Reflector,
or White Pine reflector). The Cornell docs are at:
ftp://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/pub/CU-SeeMe/Reflector/4.00b3.dist/README.reflector.4.00b3.txt
The docs for the Enhanced Reflector are at:
http://www.dimensional.com/~bgodette/reflect.doc
And the White Pine reflector docs are distributed as a PDF file as well as
unix man pages (at least for the 2.1 reflector).